Jimmy Lowndes is born near Camden. He becomes an authority on the Darug language. Goodall and Cadzow, Rivers and Resistance, p. 83, 86.


‘While ploughing along the George's River, near the Quarries, Mr C. Giles unearthed a stone axe and part of a spear and boomerang. Mr. R. Tapping, an old resident of the town, recalled that the Georges River tribe had a camp there, and that the aborigines made frequent hunting trips in the country between George's River and the Nepean. (Trove: The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW: 1842-1954).


Gandangara men use a walking track later known as Beloon to move between the Wollondilly and Nattai River Valleys. It was used by the Aboriginal Riley family until the 1940s. [Anonymous statement], “The men used to work in the Nattai Valley during the week. They’d walk home over the ridge on Fridays and light a fire up there on Beloon Pass as a signal to Mrs Riley to put the dinner on. It’d be ready by the time they’d come down the mountain and crossed the river.” Smith, ‘Gundungurra Country’, PhD thesis, pp. 597-598.