Solomon Wiseman is granted a lease for seven years to operate a ferry to take passengers, livestock and goods across the river, running a number of boats, although tried to get a lease for 21 years. The road came to the Hawkesbury River at a place originally called Lower Portland Head. The only way to cross is in a ferry, run by Wiseman. Wiseman builds an inn so travellers can stay there overnight and buy provisions for the next leg of their journey, which takes them through largely uninhabited areas. Wiseman is contracted to supply food to convicts building the road (road gangs). In 1832, the govt buys the ferry service and put in their own ferryman.