1914 – CAMDEN. BUSH MEMORIES. -. AN ABORIGINAL CHIEF. William Russell, the chief of the Gundungorra ' aboriginals 'of the 'Burragorang Valley, who died recently in Camden at the age of 84, ' supplied to Councillor A.L.Ben several interesting facts, which were published in pamphlet, form for the benefit of the chief. The following are a few extracts: - . 'My earliest recollections are naturally of my mother, ... "Wonduck" named after the place where she was born, near Richlands, which was the custom of my tribe, i.e the Gun-dun-gorra: Wonduck's husband was named "Muroon;" which is ‘the name of the wild cucumber vine bearing oblong berries, called Moombir.. ' My uncle: was "Myangarlie"- wrongly: called "Mullungully" by whites. Myangarlie was the aboriginal name of a locality now known as Connor's Plain near Bathurst. My uncle became principal man of our tribe about 50 years ago, his chief camping ground being in the Burragorang Valley. I can remember my mother carrying me on her back cuddled-down in a fold of her possum rug, folded across her shoulders. I felt quite safe and comfortable as any young burru (kangaroo) in his mother's pouch. Many times when travelling, and I was crying for a drink, she would, when near water, quench my thirst by filling her mouth at the stream and then giving it to me from her mouth to mine. The only white people I can remember about the Oaks Creek (nine miles from Camden) were the late Mr and Mrs. Reilly. There was no one on the creek till Mr. John Wild's place called "Vanderville was reached. This was quite a well improved property; big paddocks being under wheat. Many convict men, as well as aboriginal, used to help to reap the crop and do the bush work. I remember Mr. Wild's big snow white hack. I have never seen a better horse since. Mr. Wild would start from Vanderville about sunrise and be in Sydney at 10 o'clock the same morning. When there was a visitor at Vanderville Mr Wild would get our best men to throw the boomerang, and especially the long spear. One man called Old Jonneybo greatly pleased him often by his accurate throwing at an old tall black hat upwards of one hundred yards. I remember the late Mr. William Antill, of Abbotsford, Picton, as a boy, but he was a few years older than myself. We were never interfered with on any property of the Antill family, which included all the Picton Valley. There was no railway there in those days, and all the carrying was done by big bullock teams. The roads were very bad and the teamsters often in trouble. I remember bullock teams being killed on the Razorback track through the wagon dashing down hill and running over the bullocks. I first saw the late Mr James Macarthur travelling a large flock of sheep from his station, called Burru Burru, near Richlands. He started his shepherds with some odd thousand sheep. He went by Benevolin out to Benduck. He had two bullocks with his camp pack--the track was too rough for packhorses. The bullocks had winkers on: Each carried a big load. The track then travelled was up the old Burragorang Mountain; but there was no road-only a very rough track. The place called "The Jump-up" got its name because there was a rough ledge or jump-up which bullocks could manage safely, for it was 'a difficult job for a horse over this spot. It was a two days job to get the sheep up the mountain. Referring to Mr. John Fitzpatrick, of Burragorang, one of the most hospitable men known, Russell writes: ‘Old Mr. Fitzpatrick was as good as a native for he knew our language, and could use a spear and boomerang as good as any of us, and was called Bur rung-gullut by us. He was a splendid bushman, and, like his son now, could beat most young men of to-day at anything at all. I remember a Mr. John Norton, whose father was very rich and lived at Newtown, Sydney. Mr Norton owned the most part of the Kanimbla Valley as his station. He had large flocks of sheep and cattle. … The old aboriginals about Camden were a different tribe to those of Burragarong. Old Bundle was then the chief' of that tribe, Gurgur being the name of their language ; while that of ours was Gun-dun-gorra. Marranhad was the name of 'a chief man of the a sub-tribe at Burru Burru, Richlands. 'I have seen it printed' in a semi-Government paper that he was killed in a fight with the Burragorang tribe of blacks in 1844. I can remember Murrundah, as I was about16 years of age when he died. The fight really was between him and another man, and was not a tribal fight at all. '"Murrundah had his arms broken, as well as other injuries. Sub-tribes never fought against each other; but only against men of other tribes. When a battle was to take place fighting men would be gathered from the main tribe and all the sub tribes, and, all would combine together. I certainly do not feel as young, as when the policeman at Katoomba tried to run me in for being a bit tight. However, the surprise was his for I put the handcuffs on him instead and marched him to the lock-up. I was sorry I did not give this Bobby more to go on with as I was fined £9.10 for taking him home’. (Trove: Kalgoorlie Western Argus (WA: 1896-1916)